[Click here or on our logo to return to the main page.]
Veronica Pendleton - Executive Director
Phone/Fax: (307)-682-4157
Barbara Connely - Director
Phone: (307)-686-2855
Email: adopptb@bresnan.net
For Vietnam
Adoption Criteria | To Begin the Process
Adoption Criteria
Below is important criteria pertinent to the successful completion of the adoption process. We at A.D.O.P.P.T., INC. adhere strictly to U.S./Vietnamese law governing adoptions, without exception.

Please read carefully.

Applicants must follow U.S. Immigration requirements to include:
1. One adoptive parent must be a U.S. citizen.

2. At least one adoptive parent must be at least 25 years of age or older.

3. Applicants must have sufficient income and reasonable financial ability to raise a child.

4. Parents must be in good physical and emotional health.

You will be refused Immigration and Naturalization Service approval if:
1. You or your spouse have a history of crimes against children.

2. You or your spouse are currently abusing drugs or alcohol.

3. You or your spouse have a history or are currently under treatment for some forms of mental illness.

The country of Vietnam accepts married couples and single women for the purpose of adoption. Single men applicants are accepted in some provinces and are reviewed on a case by case basis. (*Vietnamese law does not permit or accept applications from gay/lesbian singles/couples).

Marriage/divorce: Couples must be married at least 1 year. History of divorce is acceptable.

Families having other children in the home is acceptable.

The review of criteria for eligibility is necessary to avoid interference, disruption and in situations pertaining to law, a halt to the adoption process.

To Begin the Process

We are delighted that you are interested in international adoption. The first step is to prepare a packet of information to be sent to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. (I-600A) We recommend starting this immediately since processing time can be up to six months. I-600A/I-600 filing fees are scheduled to increase from $405.00 to $460.00 effective February 19, 2002. Fee's for fingerpriting are scheduled to increase from $25.00 per person to $50.00 per person. A single fee of $460 covers both the I-600A and the I-600 if the fee is paid at the time of filing form I-600A.

1. You will need to obtain four copies of the following:
(2)certified copies, and (2)copies
a) Birth Certificates
b) Marriage License
c) Death Certificate of former spouse (if applicable)
d) Divorce decree (if applicable)
e) A valid homestudy (please note that this may be sent later than the above documents)

One complete set of document will be mailed with your INS application. The INS will accept photocopies with the initial I -600A form. Please be aware, however, that only certified copies are acceptable for the foreign paperwork and travel.
Ask A.D.O.P.P.T., Inc. for the address of the Department of Vital Statistics for applicable states.

(Be sure to contact us if unsure about anything in the process, as the INS does not accept incomplete applications. Serious delays can result from the omission of a single item. We want your paperwork to sail through, so please don't hesitate to call and clarify any questions.)

2. Adoptive parents can receive their INS forms from INS office in their state by calling (1-800-870-3676).
The two forms you need now are:
a) I 600 (blue form) This form is filed later at the time of adoption.
b) I 600A (peach colored) application.
Also note that anyone in your home 18 years and or older, must be fingerprinted and obtain INS approval.

3. Mail to INS the completed I 600A form (peach), birth certificates for adoptive parents, marriage license, divorce decrees, death certificates and the filling fee. The filing fee is currently $405 plus $25 per person fingerprinting fees.

It is important to label the outside of the envelope "Foreign Adoption Papers." All correspondence with the INS and other agencies should be sent Certified/Return Receipt, or (Priority Express, if necessary) It is important, however, that you have a receipt acknowledging that the agency received your documents. Upon receipt of your application, INS will schedule an appointment for you to be fingerprinted at an INS office. Two forms of photo identification are required. Once completed, INS will send your prints to the FBI for a background check. Usual processing time is 30-90 days.

4. The next step is to complete a homestudy. This will be done by a social worker or a licensed adoption agency authorized to do home studies in your state. When your home study is complete, mail it to the INS. They will add it to your file and will then examine your complete file for approval. Upon approval you will receive an I-171 H document. This is very important, so please keep it in your files.

5. If you do not have a passport, apply for one at this time. Applications are available at any post office. Get a minimum of 10 passport photos (2'x2') for each person traveling. You will need extras for your visas and foreign paperwork. At least one parent must travel, however A.D.O.P.P.T., INC. will provide a power of attorney form for the spouse who does not.

6. You will need to contact your Local Police Department and request two notarized originals of your criminal record check. Have one mailed to A.D.O.P.P.T., INC. and one to you. This is necessary for each member of your household over the age of 18.

7. Request for (2) completed notarized originals of the medical report form from your doctor. For husband and wife.

8. Call Federal Express and set up an account. This is free. You will only be charged when you actually use their service.

9. For the sake of simplicity get (2) orginals, and (2) copies of any document not specifically mentioned here and send (1) orginal, and (1) copy to A.D.O.P.P.T., INC.

First Trip to Vietnam

Each parent must bring four (4) pass port photos.
Second Trip to Vietnam

Upon the second trip to Vietnam you will need to bring the following:

1. Husband and Wife's Birth Certificates.
2. Marriage License and Divorce Decree(If applicable).
3. Home Study.
4. Form I 171H (Letter of approval from the INS).
5. Copy of first page of passport (Notarized).
6. Letter from Employer (Notarized).
7. I-600 (Notarized).
8. OF - 230 Part 1 (Application for Immigrant Visa).
9. Of - 230 Part 2 (Application for Immigrant Visa).
10. Form 9003 (IRS Questionnaire).
11. Form I-864 and I-864-A Form INS (Notarized in Several Spots).
12. Last (3) three years tax forms with W-2's attached.
13. Power of Attorney for spouse not traveling (Notarized).

last modified: 6/15/03